After meeting motherhood dazed, confused, even panicked, I was greatly relieved to discover a child-rearing philosophy that made perfect sense to me. Captivated and empowered by infant expert Magda Gerber, I set about following her parenting principles to the letter. My gusto caused some missteps. The one I regret most is offending my father-in-law.

My handsome, fun-loving father-in-law is a successful Broadway producer, was a set designer in the early days of television, and has always been an artist. When his first granddaughter came to visit the family house in Vermont at 20 months old, Grandpa Edgar naturally wanted to connect, and one of the ways he did that was to draw with her. Charming, right?

What Edgar didn’t know was that I had been zealously protecting his granddaughter’s power of discovery for months,  suppressing my own urges to show her how to do things that she might later be able to discover on her own. By then, Magda Gerber’s belief that infants should be trusted to be initiators, explorers and self-learners had been confirmed for me by my daughter many times over. I had also been steeped in early childhood educator Bev Bos’ advice to “never draw for a child” and Piaget’s words, “Every time we teach a child something, we keep him from inventing it himself…That which we allow him to discover by himself…will remain with him.”

When my dear friend Stuart dropped by a few months before the Vermont trip and brought my daughter a small box of crayons, I cringed. He was probably a little offended, and certainly taken aback when I begged, “Don’t show her how they work!” But having been a best friend for years, Stuart was well-acquainted with my somewhat obsessive, perfectionist tendencies. He obeyed.

My daughter liked the crayons. She took them out of the box, and struggled until she got them all back in. Many, many times. I may have been the only mom in the world to appreciate such an activity. I thought it was perfect. And I knew the day would come (and it did weeks later) when she discovered the profound truth — crayons make marks! But even then, the marks of color were not as fulfilling to my daughter as getting those stately soldiers to line up again, just right, in the box.

So, well-meaning Grandpa Edgar didn’t have a prayer. I was polite (I think) when I asked him not to draw for his granddaughter, and I tried lamely to explain why, but in retrospect I believe opening my mouth at all was ungracious. After all, it wasn’t the same as if I drew for her — parents are much more influential to a child than anyone else. A demonstration from me might have been perceived as the “right” way to draw, and discouraged her because she wasn’t as able.

As my mother-in-law sagely pointed out, my daughter would just think of drawing as something special that her grandfather does.  And it is…and she does. And, she is now an artist in her own right as a photographer. (And she’s still into composition – likes everything lined up, just so.)

So, the moral of this story is: tame your parenting zeal. Embrace tact, even if it means biting your tongue.  Leave the grandparents alone. They deserve to develop their own relationships with their grandchildren. If they are not daily caregivers, it doesn’t matter if they have different parenting practices than we do. Most of the time they know better, anyway.

Do you have any grandparent stories? Or are you a grandparent? I’d love to hear from you.

56 Responses to “Accepting Grandparents’ Good Intentions (With Humble Apologies To My Father-in-Law)”

1. avatar Barbara says:

My Hubby’s parents were deceased before we married so the MIL role fell to his aunt, a dear woman. Staying in her home with our first born she allowed him to play with an intricate metal neck chain, teething it voraciously. She sensed my discomfort and tried to reassure me that he would not be effeminate from playing with necklaces. I don’t think I said anything, but I was really struggling at being accused of gender identity concern (not) AND I feared he might choke on bits of the chain.

‘Taming my zeal’ would have been the correct advice for me then, too. And yes, I already had my PhD in child development then.

Good advice, Janet.

Wow, Barbara, good self-control on your part. That reminds me of well-meaning friends offering my babies their fingers to suck. My babies would always gratefully accept, and I’d be worried to death about the germs.

• avatar Laura says:

YES, WHY do people (especially relatives!) do this?? It seems inherently gross to me to stick fingers into someone else’s baby’s mouth. Gross for all involved!! I usually at least say “did you wash your hands?” Just happened three days ago with my aunt, who also held my terrified 2-year-old who wanted to get down from this stranger’s lap but was repeatedly refused. My aunt kept telling me “she’s ok.” No!!

2. avatar The Mama says:

I love it when I check Google Reader and you have a post. Always something thoughtful and relevant. I agree with this post very much. My mom took care of my daughter one day this week and it’s true, she does things differently than I do. She’s always trying to teach her things – like saying a word – and she uses toys to distract during diaper changes. But I just look at it as the special way the two of them interact. My mom has read Dear Parent and Your Self-Confident Baby so at least I have that going for me. But she’s going to do things differently than I do and it’s going to be okay.

Thanks! I think you are wise to be so accepting of your mom. Having parents around to help us with child care is such a BLESSING for all concerned.

3. avatar Fran says:

Great post, Janet! I agree for the most part with what you’re saying, but I think only as long as baby’s grandparents aren’t part of their everyday life and upbringing then it’s okay that they do things a little differently than the parents. When grandparents are part of the extended family sharing a home and maybe the child’s primary caregivers, differing parenting philosophies or ignoring the parents’ wishes can be a problem. In that case you’d have to get baby’s grandparents on board with the parenting style you’ve chosen.

Hi Fran!

Thanks, and I couldn’t agree more. For one thing, it doesn’t help a baby feel secure to have to deal with vastly different styles of care. Any regular caregiver should be on board with the parent’s wishes. Babies adapt, but they shouldn’t have to.

I find it fascinating that young infants discern and adjust to even the subtlest differences in the way they are handled — like the way daddy picks up as compared to mommy, and they prepare their bodies for what they have learned to expect. The intelligence of babies never ceases to amaze me.

• avatar Allison says:

Young children’s adjustability was demonstrated to me in language by my wife’s best friend’s daughter, who, at age 3, was (nearly) quadralingual, knowing to speak Portugese with her mama and her maternal grandparents, Croatian with her dad and paternal grandparents, English with the rest of us, and ASL with her cousins (who are deaf). I watched her switch seamlessly between 3 of these languages (her cousins live in another city) at birthday parties or family/friend gatherings. It’s totally amazing.

And then her parents put her in French Immersion (we are Canadian) when she hit kindergarten, so now at 7, she’s completely fluent in 5 languages. The amazing capacity of the human brain blows my mind (hahaha). 🙂

I’ve had other friends who speak a non-English language at home had their children outright reject their native language, so it’s totally kid dependant. But so amazing.

4. avatar Jean says:

I understand being gracious about the different and unique ways that grandparents deal with their grandchildren. My new problem is that the grandparents (my in-laws) that we have a had such a great relationship with, have decided that our latest decision (regarding school) is WRONG. We still have a good relationship, but we are all sort of uncomfortably skirting around this disagreement…

Of course, it is OUR decision to make, as their parents, but truthfully, their input is important, especially to my husband.

5. avatar Auralyn says:

I love this! GREAT advice. I used to hate it when my dear mom-in-law would tell me “no more rules when grandma is here!” and follow by giving my 2 1/2 year old daughter a whole bag of M&M’s, thus undermining my “almost no candy” training… really hard to keep smiling! I might have offended her by (rather abrubtly) putting away half of the candy -oh well 🙂 Like you said, as long as our children live with us and depend on us for advice, let the grandparents have their bit of fun…!

• avatar Suzy824 says:

I would hit the ceiling at this. Not so much the candy, but the “no more rules when grandma is here” bit.
      it doesn’t matter how important the grandparent is or thinks they are, you are the parent. They are basically telling your child they are overruling you and everything you say while they are there. It’s not acceptable, there have to be limits to these things – they can be taken too far. You can bite your tongue at things, fair enough, but a statement like that needs to be nipped in the bud.

6. avatar Jek says:

(Exhale!) Thank you for sharing this Janet. I am walking a little taller. That internal, and external, juggle of what I want for our children and enjoying our time with their dear grandparents is going to be simpler from now on… and much more pleasant… for all of us.

7. avatar Ayu says:

Maybe it’s a “cultural thing” (I’m Indonesian by birth), but my mum was horrified when I emailed her a picture of her new grand daughter lying on a mat in our yard. My mum called me up the next day and told me off for putting a one month old baby on the grass. Her reason: “It’s dirty, your dog might have done her business there! And why is she wearing trousers not a gown?”. I explained to her why I put her “on the grass”, pointing out that our dog had her own special spot for her “business”. Despite our differences, now I know mum knows best and when she offers her advice (even the “odd” ones), I accept with gratitude, because she has far more experience in this field. The proof is in the pudding with 4 successful grown up children (me being her second child), she must have done something right.

8. avatar Gauri says:

Interesingly this is an area I think I mucked up! I was following some Waldorf advice to create with your child and I started doing little drawings *for* her when she was tiny-tiny. Now (at 17months) I am having to work hard to shift her from wanting me to draw for her when she sees paper and pen. Now, even if she asks me to do a dog, or whatever, I go abstract and try and encourage her to draw too – a far cry from letting her discover crayons for herself and in her time find out they make marks on things – which sounds rather magical (if very, very slow – hahah).

Any thoughts on how to get back to letting her ‘discover’ art after such a RIE faux pas?

Great story, Gauri! Normally I am an absolute stickler for honesty with children, but in this case it sometimes helps to be — not exactly dishonest, but a little coy. When she asks you to draw a dog for her, ask her “What should come first? Oh, the head? How should I draw it…can you show me?” Breaking it down like that for her, asking her to draw each part of the specific dog she’s imagining will help place the “ball in her court” as it were.

• avatar Michelle says:

I like this answer, Janet. The problem I’m having is that when I do ask my 2 1/2 year old son to “show me”, he then whines again and again, “YOU do it!” wanting me to draw it. Any other suggestions on how to turn this pattern around?

• avatar Heather Garside says:

You may like to read “Magic Places” by Pennie Browned in New Zealand. Her book addresses creativity and respectful care of young children, including how to let children discover art creativity for themselves.

9. avatar Vanessa says:

This is so timely! My mother just came to visit for 10 days and left yesterday and even though I had not read this post I remembered you had mentioned something at some point about letting granparents be and she drew for my son and I let her be 🙂 There were times though when my son himself would be clear that he would do things himself, she kept insisting on showing him how to play with some things but I did my best to let them be because for the most part my son is very verbal and would let her know anyways and she did great with following his lead 🙂

10. avatar Lisa says:

I’m a newish grandmother. I have a one-year-old grandson. I wish that I had been a RIE mom and I am overwhelmed with the desire to be a RIE grandma. I try very hard, however, not to interfere with his parents’ very loving care. (though I may have mentioned more than once that helping him walk is not actually helpful). My grandson and I have our own quiet connection, thanks to you, Magda and my friend Genie who brought Magda to my attention.

11. I am loving reading about parents’ response to grandparents…I am a grandmother. I am trying to understand all the various approaches to parenting in 2012. It has been eye-opening as well as so enjoyable to see such interest in growth and development.
    I have to say that as a grandparent I have much more patience and am not as concerned with perfect living as I am with a secure, calm, understanding and loving home environment that will help my grandchild thrive.

Loretta, I love what you’re doing. Any child would be lucky to have a parent or grandparent like you!

12. avatar Lori says:

What would you suggest saying to my mother when she forcibly grabs my 15 month son to change his diaper? This makes him really upset because she “surprises” him and then holds him down. I have found if I give him some time, he will willingly lie down himself and help me with the changing, no tears or screaming necessary. I just don’t want to be critical of my mother because she has been so helpful in caring for him.

13. avatar Sue Martin says:

I used to worry about the details. I’m a professor of early childhood education and author of textbooks etc. As a consequence I have some fairly clear ideas about what is desirable. … Magda Gerber,Bev Bos, Waldorf/Steiner, Froebel, David Elkind and so forth are some of my guiding lights.
    I read your piece about grandparents and their role with great interest. I am now a grandparent and am currently listening to the breathing of my two grandsons avec the and six in the next room. They are having a sleeper-over ( as they call it). I’m exhausted but can’t sleep for my concern for them. The younger one had recently had a brain tumor removed but we have just heard that the chemo has been successful in attacking the residual that wasn’t removed surgically. The older one fractured his arm on Friday while at school!
    Anyway the year had been awful for them add their parents split up and their have been several home moves and changes in caregivers.
    When so much has been at stake my values haven’t changed and my passion to do things right hasn’t faded but my priorities have shifted. Nicky found pleasure in the electronic games he could play from his bed. He loved sticker books and coloring within the lines gave him satisfaction . Behavioral guidelines were stretched, routines were not followed, we ate pizza and pop because that was all the boys cold both eat. Tommy was kept of school for a while because Bucky wanted his company. Grandparents indulged. Now the parents have new patents they have parents so there are even more’ grandparents’ sharing the carrying, muddling the instructions, confusing, the guidance rules and projecting different values add much add I have been distraught I know that this means there’s is an army of people who love the boys. That can’t be bad even if my role seems minimized (and I’m working on how I am about that).

Sue – I wish your grandchildren a speedy recovery and thank you for sharing your perspective. Sounds like they are in very good hands!

14. avatar Tracy says:

I’m glad I read this today & really get it. I blew it for the first couple of years so determined to protect my “fragile” children from outside differing styles. I missed the point, not only do our grandparents do things out of love & with great intention but my children were never confused by grandma rules vs home rules.

15. avatar Kerry says:

Janet, Thanks for this great post. As a Waldorf teacher inspired by Magda Gerber’s philosopies, I found myself in the same pickles with my mom and in-laws when my son was born. I found that many of the “big” ideals for me were quickly humbled when I saw the pure love between my son and his Grandparents who were just being themselves. I really wanted everyone to feel like they could just be their authentic self around my son and so I decided to practice modeling instead of teaching the values that we create for our family. I actually wrote an article about it that may resonate with other parents. Here is the link; http://www.motheringarts.com/1/post/2013/07/balancing-the-fundamentals-and-fundamentalism.html
    Thanks for sharing your wise words, especially now before the holiday season when we get together with extended family. Sometimes a slice of humble pie is on the holiday menu 🙂 It has been for me!

16. avatar Ali Porteous says:

I so so so so so agree with this. I have tried to rear our 7 month old daughter within the RIE principles. But whenever we go round to my parents place my dad insists on standing her on her feet, sitting her up etc etc. I have really had to bite my tongue because I believe that the relationship that she is creating with her Grandpa during these moments far outweighs any positions that he is placing her in. I so love watching the two of them together and really didn’t want to put my dad off interacting with my daughter because there were too many ‘rules’. Once again a very timely post. Thanks your blog is such an inspiration for me to keep going with my respectful practices even when others look at me like I am crazy =)

17. avatar maui says:

Hello Janet!

This is a very lovely post. I have a question, my case is different because we live with our in-laws and sister-in-law. When you say they should be on board in our parenting style, is this like sitting with them and explaining RIE? Thanks

18. avatar Bas says:

I’m really curious why you say that grandparents ‘deserve’ to develop their own relationship with the grandchild?

19. avatar Allie says:

I want to agree that grandparents usually know better. But my 2.5 year old son just gets so agitated by my in-law’s style. He’s a reserved, serious little person who thrives on respect, responds really well to the type of acknowledgement you describe, and gets super-focused in play (transitions – even with respectful preparation – are difficult). His grandparents are boisterous and demonstrative. They swoop in on him when he’s playing and demand the usual grandparent hugs and kisses. This always throws him and he gets really upset. Like they’ve interrupted his flow. And when he’s upset, they try to distract him by doing things like turning up the television, singing loudly, showing him videos on their phones. I can see it doesn’t work; he gets more and more frustrated and upset.

What’s hard is they think he’s disrespectful, that we’re not raising him right because he won’t stop playing to greet them. Harder still is that they don’t listen to us when we explain that he’s just reserved, focused (and only 2 and a half!) and needs a slightly different approach.

We spend time with them most weekends, and I’d love to see a more joyful, natural relationship develop. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Allie

20. avatar Stefanie says:

Even though I cringe when grandparents interact and do stuff in a different way than I do, I let them do it. But where I draw the line is when they completely disregard and disrespect my kids’ feelings. For example, they try to force kisses and hugs on them that they are saying “no” to. Or trying to tickle my child and the more she says “no” or “stop” and cries the harder the grandparents try to tickle. My oldest (3) hates being touched by anyone but mommy and daddy so this stuff throws her into a huge meltdown that takes her a really long time to recover from. Am I wrong in asking the grandparents to stop on this situation? How am I to teach my kids that “no means no” if someone they should trust, like grandma, doesn’t even respect that? Thanks for your input.

21. avatar ioli says:

“If they are not daily caregivers, it doesn’t matter if they have different parenting practices than we do. ” What about if the grandparents ARE daily caregivers? My mum takes care of my 7mo daughter in the mornings and my mother in law in the evenings (I know, I’m very lucky and my daughter is too, we live in a small country). But there are times when I really feel like I’m hitting a wall, especially with my mother. Now that fear of abandonment has slowly started I have tried talking with my mum on the importance of “agknowledging feelings” and “sportscasting” but nothing works, she just repeats what she knows “It’s ok, mummy is off to work, she’ll be back”. I hate to be disrespectful, and often times I have bit my tongue not to say anything, but there are days when she might see her grandparents for more hours than she sees us, her parents. Any advice?

22. avatar Marie says:

I’m having some trouble with this, my MIL will snatched the baby out of hubby’s arms and run off with him while he is upset, at family functions. So I’ve taken him back and said he needs to be comfortable first. I let it go if my LO isn’t crying.

• avatar Gaby says:

I’ve lived this experience. It took some major work for me to establish my boundaries with MIL. I very clearly said that I am not comfortable with the idea of baby crying in someone else’s arms. It was not very well received, but after several interations and me not letting down finally she stopped doing that. Good luck!

23. avatar Tracey says:

I really appreciated this article because i think its ungracious to impose my parenting methods especially the subtle ones mentioned such as allowing my child to learn for themselves and self discover. (Intrinsically learning)
    I enjoy the grandies forming their own relationships in their own ways with my LO. I think he will need to adapt to differing expectations and ‘rules’ in different settings throughout life. It’s nice to know as the parent you are the most influencial and therefore what I do matters most.

24. avatar Louisa Turiel says:

My grandson is 13 months old and I do my best to follow my daughter’s lead. When I do something “unacceptable” she squints and smiles, and I get the message. I think she and her husband are doing a great job educating both my grandson and me. This Christmas, Santa Claus is giving her a pair of sunglasses.

• avatar Tracey Crosby says:

Louisa
      What a sense of humour and how gracious are you! You must be a wonderful mother & grandmother!

25. avatar giovanna says:

This is my first comment on your website and first of all I need to thank you for your inspiring work. Makes my life a bit easier with 2 & 1/2 little buddy!
    Ans this post comes just on week away from our holiday in Italy to granpas! (We live in Spain). Great advice. My father has a classic view on children as he was very severe with us! But he’s obviously being very sweet with his grandchildren. He is still a great limit setter and I think I can learn something from his security in doing it. 🙂

26. avatar Alura says:

Timely re-share on your facebook page – I am wondering how to approach some more delicate manners with family this holiday season. Mostly not wanting to allow them to try to guilt my 3 year old into hugging them, saying goodnight to them etc. I don’t feel like I can let that slide because I want to teach her autonomy and that sort of emotional pressure seems very unfair to put on a child. But I’m a bit nervous about trying to talk to them about it with tact and respect should it come up again. We’ll be staying at their house for a week…

• avatar Gaby says:

My very sensitive 4 year old is not a hugger. When someone asks him for one I usually intervene and give some options. Like a wave, blow a kiss, or even a high five. I say something like “We are not ready for hugs just yet but can we offer you a high 5?

27. avatar Caro says:

I’m having quite a bit of conflict with my mummy about the way she deals with my two boys, particularly the eldest. She tells superfluous lies to manipulate and get him to comply. Whenever I call her on it she says it is harmless,and gets really rather offended. She says I am always correcting her and that if it doesn’t stop she won’t want to visit anymore. It’s really rather uncomfortable. Anyone been in a similar situation or have suggestions of how to resolve this respectfully?

• avatar Gaby says:

Yes. I have. What I usually say to mum is that we in our home practice factual language. Instead of correcting her, I give her the vocabulary to use instead. It usually works but it is constant training!

28. avatar Xenia Karantani says:

“as long as they are not daily caregivers they should be fine”… What if they see the child 3-4 times per week for 3 hours and NEVER applying the RIE guidelines? Is this OK you think?

29. avatar Gaby says:

Loved reading this article. Thank you for sharing. And I have been in the exact same situation. Except I did not ask my in-law not to draw and he did. He drew trucks over and over again one afternoon. Then days later, when my 4 year old son tried to draw for himself a truck he grew so frustrated, he asked me to draw one and I didn’t Actually I couldn’t if I tried! That made him more frustrated. I wish I had said something, I wish I had asked him not to draw for him. Because for days after that, even weeks we had to witness and ongoing frustration with crayons!

• avatar Sara says:

Hi Gaby, so in this case you disagree with Janet’s “lesson”?

30. avatar Sara says:

Hi Janet, I’d love to know where you draw the line (or is there none at all, can grandparents literally do whatever they wish in the name of bonding?). Im sure I’m over correcting the grandparents right now but I don’t know how much to cut back. If their actions cause baby to startle or cry, for example?

31. avatar Nicollete says:

What advice do you have for parent educators who work with grandparents who are parenting their grandchildren?

32. avatar Caty says:

Sorry but I totally disagree with this. It’s fine when it’s well meaning and it’s not something major like wanting to bond over drawing. But in a lot of cases, grandparents do not know better because they believe in spanking, or shaming the child into hugging and kissing everyone, or criticizing everytime the child cries which mine only does when she is with them (my in laws) oddly enough but they start making snarky comments about how she is not well behaved, or I don’t let her see other people (fyi EVERYWHERE we go the comment I always get is how well behaved she is and how happy and calm she is!) I got criticized vigoursly for not wanting her to cry, for example because hse is sensitive, I didn’t let her sleep over at my in laws until she was older and she could understand because before that she would cry if I left, and I would get comments like so what if she cries, she’ll stop. I’ve gotten so much unsolicited advice that I bit my tongue not to say anything, but that advice was horrible…my husband has issues because of how he was raised. So all this to say, I am sorry but most grandparents these days of my friends, having gone through this themselves, are unconditionally supportive and don’t criticize new methods even if they don’t agree and offer love. Unfortunately for the rest of us, we still have critical grandparents who add stress and make you feel like you’re a bad parent for the choices you are making and that is unacceptable. I was criticized and yelled at for feeding my daughter organic food! For wanting to breastfeed, telling me breastfeeding is overrated.

33. avatar Julie says:

Thank you for sharing. I’m so thankful someone I admired taught me this lesson 21 yrs ago. My mother-in-law had very different ideas about feedings. It was difficult for me to let her do it her way ( encouraging over eating, allowing more sweets etc). Through the encouragement from a mentor I let her do it her way during visits to grandma’s 2 to 3 times a month. My children were 6 and 5 when she died. I am so thankful they have wonderful memories of the special foods at grandma’s.
    I’m thankful for the timing of sharing this article. Hopefully it will speak to parents and they will embrace the special relationship between and grandparent and their grand baby this holiday season.
    Much love to you Janet!

Love back to you, Julie! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

34. avatar Jo says:

I have struggled with this as my MIL is known amongst her children and their spouses for her lack of boundaries, “meaning well”, and being entirely unable to accept any criticism or correction. There has been much biting of the tongue over things like food, television, and her giving unsolicited advice by speaking on behalf of my son (“oh mummy I want…”). She cares for him one day a week so there are some consistency issues. Most recently, toilet learning. She potty trained her kids by putting them in underpants and letting them wet themselves. I told her we had decided on bare bottom and sit him on the potty at regular intervals. When I picked him up, sure enough she told me all about how many pairs of undies he had wet through. Hubby spoke to her about that one. Recently she told him that Santa only comes for big boys who don’t wet their pants. To which I responded “none of that thank you”.
    The big thing that I have noticed recently is the bossy and dictatorial tone that she uses is now being directed from my son to me when he wants me to do something. “Now!!! Get in there!” I stop him and tell him that in this house we speak politely and respectfully, then ask him if he would like to try again.
    Thank you Janet for the reminder that we as parents are the most significant influencers. I will continue with my current approach of reinforcing our family values.

35. avatar Erika says:

Hi! I am wondering if 2 hours 2 days a week is too much to be with a grandparent who is overly anxious, does everything for them and has no calm bone in her body. My mother has a lot of issues and unfortunately is very fear based because of her past. It worries me because I know my kids (ages 3 and 1.5) are very young and impressionable. The good part is that she adores her grandkids, loves on them a ton and I feel confident she tries to do her best by keeping them safe while showing them a good time. Is this too often a hangout? Thanks for your time!

36. avatar Jessica says:

A great piece to read, I feel like I’m slowly discovering the importance of allowing the Grandparents to play their own unique role. I’ve particularly come to understand this with my own mother who is very skills focused and I worry is pushing my daughter to perform skills on cue rather than following her lead. However I have come to realise that if I stand back and let them interact my daughter manages it really well and they have many special games of their own which I can see is valuable to them both.

In contrast I really struggle with my MIL, she and I have very different ideas about safety (and many other things) and I feel like I am constantly on damage control with her. Any advice on how to manage this with her respectfully for everyone? I find it very hard to get her to listen to my perspectives, having had four children she seems adamant that she knows everything and makes me feel like I’m being ridiculous when I’m trying to express my discomfort with her behaviour.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

37. avatar Ali Porteous says:

I too was a strong RIE advocate and found I had to bite my tongue many times when my dad interacted with my firstborn daughter. I would cringe every time he sat her up or walked her on her feet. But at the end of the day I decided that her relationship with him was much more important than my parenting beliefs. She was still getting all of the benefits of free movement at home, but when we visited them I just had to let it go. What I DIDNT want to happen was for me to impose lots of ‘rules’ about how he could interact with her and for him to be scared to do so. She is now 4 and they have the most wonderful relationship, and occasionally being sat or walked with grandpa didn’t affect her one bit!

38. avatar Naomi says:

I enjoyed this article and can see real value in taking a step back. I too stared out strong and although I might have seemed calm about things, inside I was perpetually tense and anxious that certain activities the Grandparents liked to share with our son Van, would undo all our hard work. But I’ve relaxed a bit now and no that it’s what he experiences 90% of the time that counts. However, recently was have been thinking about lettibg Van stay at his Nana’s house. He’s just turned two and he loves his Nana and I genuinely think he’d have a great time. BUT…we don’t allow any screen time for Van, haven’t since the sat he arrived and it’s something I feel really strongly about. His Nana knows this and to the best of my knowledge she respects our wishes when she has him for the day by keeping the things off. Do you think I’m potentially squashing what could be awesome memories for our little boy by insisting on no TV even on over night visits? The thought of him going all big eyed over some fast flashing carton upsets me but I never want to dampen his relationship with other close loved ones either. Would love your opinion…Thanks, Naomi.